Sunday, January 22, 2012

Brownies from heaven

So, I made brownies today and they were literally better than the box. I've made several different brownie recipes from scratch. Never have I ever found a recipe that I liked better than the good old boxed mix. Until today. And just you wait..... here it is..... they are made from black beans! On a whim, I decided to make these because I wanted brownies, but I'm trying to lose the pregnancy pudge, so black bean brownies sounded better than the regular deliciousness. Well, these were a treat. I even gave one to Joe before I told him they were made with black beans. And he said they were the best brownies I've ever made. SO, there you have it. The verdict.

(found on a gluten-free blog and I did it in the food processor not the blender... doubt it matters)

Lila's Black Bean Brownies
1 can, rinsed and drained black beans
1/2 cup fresh spinach (more or less) (I did almost a cup)
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup cocoa powder (I used Hersheys)
1 TBSP vanilla extract
1 cup sugar

1 tsp ground coffee (I added a tsp of Trader Joe's instant coffee)
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
(I used Hersheys)


so first, throw your black beans in the blender and give them a couple pulses just to break them up. then add your oil and spinach. pulse them until blended. we want this smoooooth.
Photobucket




you'll have to scrape down the sides...then pulse again...scrape the sides...then pulse. you want there to be no chunks or as little as possible.
add your vanilla, coffee, salt, sugar, cocoa powder... and i threw in a TBSP of choco chips too for good measure.
pulse until it's all smooth.
then add those eggs.
pulse until well blended. you don't need to over do it here. just blend it all together and then stop.


Photobucket
spray an 8X8 pan with pam or butter the dish. put your runny brownies in there.
throw the choco chips on top


bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
take out and let cool completely for a couple hours. Serve with ice cream and trick everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy! Will definitely have to try sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO excited about these!! Thank you! And your photography is amazing... looks so professional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. these are delish! Tastes like flourless fudge cake. And unfortunately I can't claim the pictures-they are pasted in from the place I got the recipe :)

      Delete